Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?

Help with your rent

You can now only claim Housing Benefit through your local authority if any of the following apply to you:

  • You are single and have reached State Pension Age.
  • You are in a partnership and you have both reached State Pension Age.
  • You are in Council placed emergency housing or certain types of exempt or specified accommodation.

 If you fall into the categories listed above you can start a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support online today.

If this list does not apply to you then you will need to make a claim for your housing costs through Universal Credit. Please follow the links below to find out more and make a new claim online.

Help with your Council Tax

Council Tax Support can cover a percentage of your bill if you are of working age and up to 100 percent if you are of pensionable age. If you are on a low income and require help with your Council Tax bill, please start a new claim today.

Start a new Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support claim

Please note: This application is for new claims only and you must have an email address to proceed with the online claim.

Benefits calculator

Use the GOV.UK benefits calculator to find out what benefits you may be entitled to and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.

Completing your application

  • The form includes full instructions on how to make claims as well as a list of the evidence and documents that claimants need to provide.
  • New claimants are advised not to delay submitting their forms as they will be able to upload their evidence at the end of the online application, they will also have one month to either email their scanned or photographed supporting documents to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
  • If you are really unable to provide the information electronically, you also have the option to send the information to our postal address; South Worcestershire Revenues & Benefits Shared Service, PO Box 11, Pershore, Worcs, WR10 1PU.
    If you are struggling to provide information to support your claim using the above options, please contact us on 03004 560 560 to advise.

Please do not wait until you have all your evidence before submitting your claim as you may lose out on benefit.


Payments of Housing Benefits are paid directly into your bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you would need to open a new account. If you are renting from a Housing Association then we are able to pay them directly. Please ensure you advise that you wish for your landlord to be paid directly on your application form to enable us to fulfil this request.

Help to complete your application

Our Contact Centres will be able to arrange an appointment to assist you. Please call 01386 565000 to speak to our Customer Service team.

Already receiving Housing Benefits or Council Tax Support?