Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Community and Living

Street Party Guidance

Street parties are a great way to get to know your neighbours and celebrate together.

Before you can hold your party, you need to do several things. They include:

  • Talk to your neighbours and find out if there is enough support for the event to go ahead
  • Plan early
  • Find the right location for your party. If it cannot be held in the street then think about holding your event on a local playing field, open space or next to a building like a community hall. Make sure you have the owner's permission.
  • If your neighbours are happy, then set a date
  • If you need to close a road or roads to hold your street party then you will need to apply for a Temporary Road Closure Order. Learn how to apply for a temporary road closure order. It will be up to you to manage road closures. This includes putting up signage and diversions.
  • Make sure there are enough people to help organise and clean up after the event. You will be responsible for keeping the local area clean and tidy. Let people know what time the party will finish and have an area set aside for bin bags and recycling

Risk assessments

You do not need to provide risk assessments by law for a private street party, but we need to be satisfied that you are addressing any significant risk resulting from your event. You should think about how you can reduce the risk of things going wrong and have a back up plan. 

Below is a list of some of the things you should think about:

  • What would you do if the weather was bad?
  • Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass to avoid risk of injury?
  • Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque and that children are not going to be able to come into contact with any hot surfaces etc.?
  • How will you manage a casualty, i.e. are there any first aiders and what are your arrangements for contacting the Emergency Services?
  • Are you going to allow, and if so, how are you going to manage any traffic movement during the event to avoid any damage or injury?
  • Are you going to have any Inflatable (Bouncy Castles), tents or gazebos and how are you going to make sure they are erected and dismantled safely and manage use of them to ensure no-one is hurt?
  • Are there any sources of power to be used i.e. electrical, gas where extra care will be needed? If you are using any electrical equipment ensure it is in good condition, and suitable for outdoor use. Try and lay cable so they are not a tripping hazard.
  • If you are using electrical equipment, is it in good condition and suitable for outdoor use? How will you make sure people don't trip over electrical cables?
  • Will there be people to clean up as you go to make sure that rubbish build up does not become a fire hazard, and spilt food doesn't cause slips.
  • If you are using a generator, how will you store the petrol safely and securely?

Larger Public Events

There are lots of things to think about when planning a public event. document Use our event management plan template and guidance notes (52 KB) .

If your event has been advertised to the public and you are expecting a large number of people to attend, there are other things you will have to do.

You will need to provide a risk assessment. pdf Download our event risk assessment guidance notes (129 KB) .

Alcohol and live music

If you want to sell alcohol at your event or there will be live music - either a live band or recorded music like a disco - then you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice. These cost £21 and must be received by us at least 10 working days (two weeks) before your event

If you are giving away alcohol for free then a licence is not normally needed. 

You don't need a licence to play pre-recorded music as long as your street party is for residents only and the music ha snot been advertised before your event to attract people or make money.

You will need a food register if you will be using caterers.

For more information on licences you may need for your event, visit the Temporary Event Notices page or contact Sue Gunnell on 01527 881263.

Closing roads

Wychavon District Council has the power under Section 21 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 to close roads for public events such as Carnivals and Street Markets.

If you wish to make a Temporary Road Closure application, please contact Julie Brain on (01684) 862366 in the first instance.

Price changes effective from 1 April 2023.

You will need to complete an Application Form and pay a fee of:

  • A single application costs £100
  • Multiple applications from the same applicant £200

Read the Temporary Road Closure Order Guidance Notes for applicants before submitting your application.

Complete the online road closure application form


Streets Alive gives advice on whether you need insurance for your street party or event. Read insurance advice on the street party website.


Visit Worcestershire Regulatory Services for information on fireworks or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for advice.

For more information regarding events please contact our Community Development Team on 01386 565168.

Wychavon 50th anniversary logo