Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?

Empty homes

Due to housing shortages, there is a need to bring empty homes back into use and maximise the availability of the housing stock in the district.

We offer:

  • Free guidance is available to owners of empty properties

  • Signposting to Registered Landlords who may be interested increasing their own stock to meet local housing need

  • Free advertising of your property on the Wychmove social lettings.

  • Empty Homes Assistance up to £15,000 if the property qualifies for essential works as deemed appropriate by the council

Report an empty home

If you are a homeowner or a resident that lives near to an empty property in poor condition, it can become targets for vermin, fly-tipping, burglary, drug use and anti-social behaviour. A neglected property can also lead to damage and devaluation to adjoining properties.

There is a legitimate public interest in ensuring empty homes do not have an undue impact on the local community. Please inform us if you are aware of an empty property, in order for us to work with the homeowner.

Report an empty home

Enforcement action

Circumstances may require formal enforcement action to bring a property back into use if informal action hasn’t been effective.

This could include:

  • Dangerous and dilapidated buildings and drainage – Building Act 1984
  • Unsightly land and property – Town and Country Planning Act 1990
  • Premises prejudicial to health or a nuisance – Environmental Protection Act 1990
  • Property improvements, empty dwelling management orders – Housing Act 2004
  • Rodents - Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949
  • Enforced sales
  • Compulsory Purchase Orders

Useful links

Contact us

If you need more information about empty homes contact the Private Sector Housing team by emailing  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 01386 565020.

Wychavon 50th anniversary logo